Wednesday, July 11, 2007

no thanks

Yeah, I know - there's been a lack of updates. I've been a little preoccupied with working and preparing to move to Japan, so blogging about linguistics has been pretty low on the list at the moment, but hopefully I find the time to update this a little more frequently once I move and get settled.

One thing I'm really paranoid about is unintentionally offending someone - you always hear things about Japanese people being super polite and formal. And, being Australian (who are apparently super-informal), there's bound to be some issues. It did make me wonder though, are Japanese people really polite? And are Australians really that informal?

This would be where I normally incorporate the definition of politeness, but I'll spare you the linguistics lesson. The point is, different cultures show politeness in a number of ways. For Australians, being formal is seen as being a bit standoffish and aloof, so to be polite, we try to treat people as we would our close friends - and so we get away with asking strangers about the weekend (even though we don't care) calling Uni lecturers and Doctors by their first name rather than their title. Japan on the other hand, is about maintaining traditions and a social hierarchy, so politeness can involve showing that you are aware that people are higher on the social ladder than you by being formal, and using their titles rather than their first names.

So long(ish) story short(er), Australians aren't that impolite, and Japanese people aren't that polite, it's just that different cultures have different ways of showing  it. It's all relative I guess - I spoke to  someone originally from India who was surprised how formal everyone was when she first arrived in Australia, since everyone, including people she considered friends,  said 'thanks' for anything. Coming from India, 'thanks' was never said to friends - it wasn't considered necessary for someone that the person knew well, and friends saying it was like a slap in the face - in India, it would've shown formality and a lack of friendship. From an outsider's perspective, she would've been considered rude for never saying 'thank you' for anything as well.

I guess I can only keep an open mind and hope other people do as well when I inevitably offend someone unintentionally. But if they don't, I guess it gives me something else to blog about I guess.

2 comments:

James said...

Cross cultural interaction is always hard, the best thing to do is to find some one who can feel free to tell you what you do wrong and help you fix it.
Generally I find in cross cultural situations any sign of making an effort is often enough (Probably just because it is more that most people do). The people in japan will have seen foriegners break all the cultural rules before.

People (especially in respect based cultures) like to see people making an effort to respect their culture. If you show a commitment and willingness to learn and live in the culture that will cover over a multitude of sins :)

Also expect that there may be cultural things that you will never feel comfortable doing, I've heard that they have some quite public baths in Japan...

I hope you have a great time over there, and look forward to hear some more linguistic thoughts...

narin said...

Yeah, I've heard the horror stories of public baths - While I was South Korea teaching, someone I travelled with came back traumatised after spending the day with her host family at the spa! After that, I found many ways to politely say no to my host family!